Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lessons in Perseverance in the CPM Process


Lessons in Perseverance in the CPM Process

Tambora and Other Tender Tales  


Tambora. The audaciousness of the sound of that name brings a sense of intrigue. 1815 was the year which climates changed worldwide resulting from the blast felt round the world from the birthplace of this still active volcano. Coastal villages along with in landers perished on Sumbawa Island, upwards of an estimated 120,000 perished into a Christ less eternity.

After 24 kilometers of uphill trekking, I decided that the last 30 minutes to the highest point of this the largest volcanic eruption in recorded history was better enjoyed resting my hind’s feet just shy of that high place. Meanwhile, my hubby and our son seemingly scampered up to the rim with ease.

As I rested in the stillness of the dawn, I tucked myself into a little nook of volcanic ashen rock. The coolness and stillness of the morn at this altitude was awe-inspiring. However, it was at this moment, a singular flowering plant caught my attention. There among the stillness, there among the starkly barren landscape of pumice littered terrain, I saw Edelweiss flourishing. Yes, and I did think of the movie “The Sound of Music”. This little white flower glistened with early morning dew loudly proclaiming its presence.  Breathtaking. Refreshing, renewing.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the beauty of the Lord, which He promises to the heart of His people. His beauty and enoughness is largely discovered in those places of most difficult terrain in our own lives. I thought of the process of this journey of trekking. In a physical sense, this was one of the most stretching efforts I had ever experienced. In a spiritual growth sense, I liken the journey of serving among the SOLI and Sumbi UPGs as highly parallel.

Thankfully, on this difficult terrain of trusting God for a Church Planting Movement to permeate the UPGs in our area, those few laborers who have gone before us had laid tracks. Be assured that the Holy Spirit has long been preceding any one of us and has laid the tracks down for us to follow in His steps in order to fulfill God’s purposes among these Muslim peoples and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment